The Rose Garden Tour starts with a stop at a view point of Terreiro da Luta, over Funchal. We then climb up and over to the the north side of the island where we stop at Ribeiro Frio. Here you are in the middle of the Laurissilva forest which is nothing short of paradise. From here we make our way to another stop which is must for anyone traveling oin this route, Santana. In Santana you will find the typical A framed houses with beautiful gardens which is very appropriate for the rose garden tour.
From here we make our way to Quinta dos Arcos at Arco do Sao Jorge where we stop for lunch and also the highlight visit of the rose garden. This is said to be the biggest collection of roses in Portugal with about 1700 types of rose bushes that can be seen here from april through to December. The Quinta is a 20 hectar estate which has many indigenous types of plants, including various types of subtropical orchids, as well as a vineyard that produces its own wine.
After our visit at the gardens we continue along the north coast passing Ponta Delgada until we get to Sao Vincente. These are both villages with churches that were build back in the 15th century and are know for their cultural events.
- Duration of this tour is about 8hrs
- We collect from all hotels in Funchal and Canico
- Starts between 8.00 and 9.00 and you should be back before 17h00
- The excursion is offered with an English, German, French or Spanish qualified guide
- The tour route can be changed due to unforeseen circumstances, mainly due to weather